Our mediators are qualified Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners (FDRP) accredited with the Attorney Generals Department.
They must comply with the Family Law (Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners) Regulation 2008 (the regulation).
This regulation provides the rules about how we must operate, the information we must tell you before mediation, when we can issue you with a 60I certificate and many other important matters.
Our compliance with this regulation and our obligations, means that you will receive a quality mediation service from us.

As Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner’s there are 4 key services that we provide:

Children and Parenting

The best interests of children are the most important consideration when making decisions about them and their care.

Some issues that people benefit from discussing at mediation are custody, contact, education, child support, relocation, medical and educational needs, or other unique issues.

Talking about these matters at mediation means that you can tailor a plan that works for you, your children, and their other parent or relative.

If you intend to apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for orders relating to children, you MUST attend mediation first.

Property Settlement and Finances

Working out how to value and divide the assets acquired during a relationship can be a scary and overwhelming task.

Mediation is not compulsory in applications to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for financial matters.

It can however help you to decide what property, assets and liabilities need to be included, what they are valued at and how they could be shared.

Parenting Plans and Agreements

If you reach an agreement at mediation, you may like this to be put in writing. In this case we will write down what you agreed to at mediation.

Where you reach an agreement about children and parenting, you may wish to have your agreement formalised into a Parenting Plan.

A parenting plan is an agreement about a variety of matters relating to the care and maintenance of children which will be recorded in writing, signed, and dated by the parties. Parenting Plans are not legally binding however in most instances where people can agree what is best for their children a court order is not required.

If you feel you need a legally enforceable order, you can ask the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia to make your parenting plan into a Consent Order. To do this you will need to make this application to the court.

The regulations we work under mean that although our mediators may also be lawyers, they cannot provide you with legal advice or draft court documents for you in their mediation service. We can however provide you with the contact details for lawyers who could assist you with this.

Section 60I Certificates

A Section 60I Certificate is one issued under the Family Law Act 1975 (QLD) to allow people to file an application in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia.

They can only be issued by suitably qualified Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners (FDRP).

There are different types of certificates, your mediator will determine which certificate is issued.

Once issued your certificate is valid for 12 months.

If mediation is not successful, someone won’t attend or if you can’t reach an agreement you may like to request that your FDRP issue you with a 60I certificate so you can apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia.